Open Source Technical Information: I can't access my Windows network shares anymore! People tell me to use the smbmount command, but it doesn't work!

Friday 28 October 2011

I can't access my Windows network shares anymore! People tell me to use the smbmount command, but it doesn't work!

,
Modern versions of Linux use a type of Windows file sharing called "The Common Internet File System" (CIFS). Instead of using "smbmount", try:
mount -t cifs //1.2.3.4/share /mnt/somedirectory
For more information about this, in a terminal you can do:
man mount.cifs
Note that CIFS can't resolve Windows computer names, so you're better off using their IP addresses.

0 comments to “I can't access my Windows network shares anymore! People tell me to use the smbmount command, but it doesn't work!”

Post a Comment

Write your tips here...

Deal of the Day

Advertisement here

Advertisement here