Open Source Technical Information: How do I enable 3D support for my ATI Radeon card in Fedora?

Friday 28 October 2011

How do I enable 3D support for my ATI Radeon card in Fedora?

,
RPM Fusion provides ATI driver RPMs that are designed especially for Fedora.
NOTE: If you have nVidia drivers installed, you must un-install them before installing these ATI drivers.
Here's how to install them:
  1. Make sure that you're using my yum configuration from the installing software question.
  2. Open a Terminal.
  3. Become root:
    su -
  4. Install the driver:
    yum install kmod-catalyst
  5. Shut down X:
    init 3
  6. Log in as root.
  7. Enable the driver:
    catalyst-config-display enable
  8. Rebuild your kernel configuration (otherwise it may try to load a conflicting driver during boot) and add some new kernel arguments to work around conflicts between the Catalyst driver and Fedora:
    new-kernel-pkg --kernel-args=nomodeset --mkinitrd --dracut --update $(rpm -q --queryformat="%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n" kernel | tail -n 1)
  9. Reboot your machine:
    reboot
If you have any trouble with the RPM Fusion RPMs, please report a bug to the RPM Fusion Bugzilla.

0 comments to “How do I enable 3D support for my ATI Radeon card in Fedora?”

Post a Comment

Write your tips here...

Deal of the Day

Advertisement here

Advertisement here