Open Source Technical Information: How do I enable 3D support for my nVidia graphics card in Fedora?

Friday 28 October 2011

How do I enable 3D support for my nVidia graphics card in Fedora?

,
There are now nVidia driver RPMs provided by rpmfusion.org that are designed especially for Fedora. Here's how to install them:
  1. Make sure that you're using my yum configuration from the installing software question.
  2. Open a Terminal.
  3. Become root:
    su -
  4. Install the driver:
    yum install kmod-nvidia
  5. Rebuild your kernel configuration (otherwise it may try to load a conflicting driver during boot):
    new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --dracut --update $(rpm -q --queryformat="%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n" kernel | tail -n 1)
  6. Reboot your machine:
    reboot
And now you should have working 3D with your nVidia card!
Note that if you have an older card, you may need to install kmod-nvidia-173xx or kmod-nvidia-96xx. There is a list on the nVidia site that says which cards are supported by which driver.
If you need support for the nVidia drivers, check out the nV News "NVIDIA Linux Forum". (Thanks to Exile in Paradise for this tip.)

0 comments to “How do I enable 3D support for my nVidia graphics card in Fedora?”

Post a Comment

Write your tips here...

Deal of the Day

Advertisement here

Advertisement here